Before Earth Month ends, we’d like to highlight the sustainability efforts in our most expensive Bond-funded project to date, our new and improved comprehensive Montbello High School. Reimagine Montbello is well underway, thanks to a $139.5 million dollar investment out of our 2020 bond. The construction has an expected end date in the Fall of 2024. Here are some sustainability highlights:
- While Montbello is mostly heated by central boilers, DPS Sustainability contributed funds to upgrade 3 rooftop units to include heat pumps, supporting our electrification goals.
- Building envelope commissioning to reduce heating and cooling losses.
- Cool, reflective roof to reduce energy consumption.
- Added conduit in parking lots to support future EV charging.
- Dark Sky site lighting to reduce light pollution.
- Daylighting analysis to support natural light in classrooms.
- Limited turf areas and using native plants and seed mixes.
- Outdoor seating areas and garden area.
- Extensive bike racks.